Rules & Regulations
• FILM - Gender of writers, directors, producers, etc is immaterial for qualification.
• MUSIC - Gender of creators must be female or female led.
Films must be submitted on Region 1 DVD, media on flash or data DVD, Region 1 Blu-Ray or as an online screener for preselection. Screenplays can be submitted digitally or by regular mail. Selected films MUST provide Region 1 BluRay and/or 1920x1080 ProRes Quicktime for screening at the festival (see notes below). If you are unable or unwilling to provide your film or screenplay in the outlined formats, please do not submit.
All film submissions should have a production date no earlier than January 2015 for the 2019 edition. Music submissions do not have a production date restriction.
All foreign language films must be subtitled in English for pre-selection and screening.
Narrative and Documentary films with U.S. distribution (obtained prior to being selected for AFF screening) or films produced, financed or initiated by a major film studio or television network are ineligible for competition, but may be considered for a special screening. Films that have screened on US network or cable television or distributed to theaters prior to the festival dates are also ineligible for competition. Selection for screening will be determined no later than six weeks prior to the festival.
Once an entry payment has been processed we cannot provide a refund.
SCREENING FORMAT DELIVERABLES:
• Features over 75 minutes: Region 1 Blu-Ray disc OR DCP only.
• Features under 75 minutes: digital 1920x1080 Pro Res Quicktime AND Region 1 Blu-Ray disc.
• Shorts: digital 1920x1080 Pro Res Quicktime AND Region 1 BluRay.
• Narrative films under 75 minutes and all short films selected for screening will require digital file delivery of 1920x1080 Pro Res Quicktime AND Region 1 BluRay disc. Be prepared to supply BOTH deliverables. ••••• Why we ask for ProRes files: We program many shorts ‘blocks’ featuring between 3 and 9 shorts. For these blocks, our theater REQUIRES a single BluRay be created for that screening. This practice affords for giving our audiences the best viewing experience possible and provides amazing latitude to create the best BluRay possible for all the films in the block.
• Determination of screening format cannot be ascertained until festival programming is done.
• If you cannot provide the above, please do not submit your film.
• Blu-Ray screeners and flash drives are not returned.
• Should filmmakers require AWIAFF to author a Region 1 Blu-Ray screener, the filmmaker will reimburse AWIAFF for authoring and media costs.
Terms, Conditions & Release
You, the entrant, acknowledge and agree as follows:
You certify, by completion of any AWAIFF online submission form, that you have the legal right and authority to enter the film, screenplay or music (property) into The Artemis Women in Action Film Festival.
By submitting your property to Artemis Women in Action Film Festival, you acknowledge that you have read, understand and agree to, and will abide by all the terms and conditions of submission of materials to this festival competition, which are listed in this release and on this webpage.
You certify you have read, understood, and complied with all eligibility requirements.
If the property is selected, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless AWIAFF from any claims that arise as a result of this submission or screening of your property as well as from damage to or loss of any submitted materials en route to the festival.
Your submitted property is not subject to any claims or litigation and is not threatened by any claims or litigation.
By submitting your property, you agree the festival may use your poster art, screengrabs, trailers/trailer links, etc. for social media and marketing purposes of the festival.
By utilizing any of the submission options/platforms presented on this website you hereby declare that all the above statements are true to the best of your knowledge and belief.
Artemis Women in Action Film Festival wants YOUR films, shorts, screenplays, and music!
Artemis Women in Action Film Festival Qualifiers
Submit all narrative, animated, documentary FILMS and SCRIPTS featuring women
either starring or co-starring as a physical action character or agent of social change.
We celebrate women in kick ass roles.
Submit all MUSIC in any genre that is a film score, composition, song, or theme song
created by female composers, female led bands, and female solo artists.
FILMS - 40 minutes or longer
SHORTS - up to 40 minutes
SCRIPTS, Features (70-120 pgs) & Pilots (45-60 pgs)
MUSIC in all genres, up to 10 minutes.
Key Dates & Fees
EARLY Deadline - 09/15/18; Features - $65.00, Shorts and Screenplays - $40.00
REGULAR Deadline - 10/31/18; Features - $70.00; Shorts and Screenplays - $45.00; Music - $15.00 - 25.00
LATE Deadline - 12/15/18; Features $80.00; Shorts and Screenplays - $55.00; Music - $20.00 - 30.00
EXTENDED Deadline - 01/15/19; Features - $90.00; Shorts and Screenplays - $65.00; Music - $25.00 - 35.00
Notification of Acceptance - Approx Mar 1, 2019
Exhibition Materials Deadline - Apr 1, 2019
Deadlines for student submissions will observe the calendar above. Fees are deeply discounted for students 😀
Where to Submit
Submissions are available directly through Artemis, open on FilmFreeway
and Withoutabox. Discounts and student submissions are only processed directly through our website.